Drafting Strats

Go down

Drafting Strats

Post  Genkidesuka on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am

Okay, the many, many IHs I've played with you guys have seemed to result in AoE rape vs AoE rape teams nearly 100% of the time. These strats are quickly being phased out of the metagame (if they haven't already). I drafted a global strat (yes BM was a terrible pick, in hindsight I think it should have been Invoker as suggested by Deja), but there is more than just global and AoE disable/rape. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Genkidesuka
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drafting Strats

Post  Stankey on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 pm

You obviously havent played many with us lol. The only aoe rape team was the last one when zach captained. He got 5 all with aoe ultis. Puck, enig, sk, magnus and someone else or something like that lol. that team got ripped up by dr's picks, i suggested silencer (which he said he was already thinking about). He got silencer last, so he would continue with his aoe picks, then we had lich/tide (yea aoe i know lol, but tide is more for the tank, and our initiator, and lich armour is nice for meepo. So yeh then meepo, and warlock 2 babysit him (heal). Tide gets his ulti off and then silencer ultis and mass nets and gg for them pretty much. Nets are also sweet for stopping channeling spells.

But yeh i dont pick based on aoe, dont get me wrong, i like to have 2 or so heroes with a nice aoe ulti as a bonus. Like tide is a mean tank, plus he has that sweet ulti. Also puck is an awesome hero with his evasiveness and silence plus he happens to have an aoe ulti. But stunners are still a big part of my choices. Tank, stunners, carry and warder/support is kinda how i pick and its worked out so far Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DR on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Another thing is, do you have the right players to pull off a "different" strat? Like in a team where the players are more.... farm orientated it'd be a bit silly to try a gank or push strat.
I think thats a major issue you have to consider.

And bans can muck up a particular strat you might want to try.

DR
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Genkidesuka on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:02 pm

DR wrote:Another thing is, do you have the right players to pull off a "different" strat? Like in a team where the players are more.... farm orientated it'd be a bit silly to try a gank or push strat.
I think thats a major issue you have to consider.

And bans can muck up a particular strat you might want to try.

Something is seriously wrong if there's a hero that five people can't play...

And the whole point of a lineup is synergy between heroes. It's all well and good to have a carry/map control technician/couple of gankers but they need to actually do well together. The easiest way to do this is, of course, AoE rape because they basically have forced synergy.

I think another thing people need to take into account when they're drafting is lanes. I remember Stankey's lineup having a double melee lane which can possibly work but is best to avoid :O

Genkidesuka
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stankey on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:16 pm

the tide/omni? I was just goin for double slow, and it left us two stunners bottom.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DR on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Thats not what I mean, say you have two very farm heavy style players, and 2 support and 1 ganker. You can't do a ganker strat because youd only have 1-2 competent ganker. Well you could do a ganker line up, but the players you have mean it won't be as effective or effective.

DR
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stankey on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm

i used to just farm hard every game, that was like my goal. Ive think most people go through that phase, and you come out still being able to farm, but having a better idea of when to farm and when to do other stuff. Now i more play my hero, whatever kind of hero i have i play that style (most of the time)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Genkidesuka on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:31 pm

DR wrote:

Thats not what I mean, say you have two very farm heavy style players, and 2 support and 1 ganker. You can't do a ganker strat because youd only have 1-2 competent ganker. Well you could do a ganker line up, but the players you have mean it won't be as effective or effective.

Fear can play a really good lich, Maelk can play just about anything, we won't get into Merlini because he's so fucking amazing at what he does... Mania specializes in ganking/str but his puck/zeus are actually reasonably good, and h4nn1, like maelk, can play everything.

The point is that your two very farm heavy style players should be able to gank with heroes. I'm fine with carry heavy players not wanting to play support but to have two in a team refusing to change role is more at fault with the team than drafting different strats.

Genkidesuka
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DR on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Having two players refusing to change role means you have to take that into account, thats all. Sure you can give them a ganker hero, but they might not as actively seek out gank opportunities or end up farming more than they should. It is like asking a ricer to suddenly play the lead ganker and expecting them to do as well.

Also MYM is a professional team, our teams are picks from a pool of players who aren't.

DR
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stankey on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am

yeah i had no idea who those ppl were lol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PIB on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 am

If it helps this matter any more, almost all the time i play (unless made to play seriously in a war) in pubs or ih i try somthing new. Though i no this does piss stanks off {sometimes} but does allow to discover interesting strats. Love [think it was D_R and someone else] tree burrow through the back of the scorage base to kill my kfc
PIB
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DR on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:55 am

Don't think it was me, I'll kill a chick if i see it, but I wouldn't tree burrow to do that.

DR
Shaman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Half-Br33D on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:49 pm

TWAS MEEEEEE!! we got owned that game tho D;
Half-Br33D
Grunt

View user profile

Back to top Go down